Monday, October 8, 2007

My kayak

I had been seeing this yak in a neighbors yard for a couple of years. It's a Pelican Apex II. I gave them $180 for it. The biggest problem with this model is the "wet butt" syndrome. I ordered a Surf To Summit "Drifter" seat for it. Those were designed for the original OK Drifters, which had the same problem. The seat provides a 3 inch rise and has great back support.
Being that this is a 13 foot tandem yak, there is plenty of storage room. I built the "fish coffin" out of 5mm luan plywood and lined it with 1 inch foamboard. The top is removeable for cleaning. I'm painting it with white polyurethane paint inside and out.
Possibly the next project is outriggers up front so that I can stand up in it.
Total investment so far is less than $400.

(click pics to enlarge)


No comments: