Friday, September 28, 2007

Running of the bulls

We went to GI today. Put the yaks in a Elmers and headed to the beach on the Caminada Pass side. Water was a bit dirty and got no action on flies. We caught several specks in the canal on the way, with only 2 keepers. I caught some big mullet with a cast net and filleted up some for bait. We put them on the bottom just off the beach and got slammed by bull reds. Hogy caught a 28" red right away and a few minutes later I hooked up a huge one. My little Shimano spinning reel gave up on me just as I was seeing the fish in the surf, the drag locked and I lost it. It looked to be about 3' long. On the way back we caught 4 more big reds and Hogy put a piece of the mullet on the bottom and caught a 25" speck! Check out the no-spots red on the right. Not a bad day at all...

No comments: